Winston-Salem’s Brandon Ward won the $3,000 top prize Saturday at Concord Speedway in the Spring Explosion 125 Southern Modified Racing Series race. It was his second-consecutive victory as he won last weekend at Orange County Speedway in Rougemont, NC.
As was the case last week at Orange County, Ward established early in the day at Concord that he had a fast car by winning the Precision Spindle Pole award in qualifying. The draw for a starting spot found Ward third at the start.
Ward maintained a solid spot inside the top-three as Bryan Dauzat, Bobby Measmer Jr. and Andy Seuss each took turns leading the race. On lap 90, Ward made his move past Seuss to the top spot. He survived a pair of late race restarts and a challenge from Measmer – last year’s Concord winner and a hometown favorite – to get the victory.
Measmer charged late in the race but came up short finishing in the second spot. Burt Myers and his brother Jason Myers rallied in the final 25 laps to finish third and fourth, with John Smith competing the top five.
The Southern Modified Racing Series return to the track Saturday (April 8th) for the Modified Invasion 125 at Southern National Speedway in Kenly.
Spring Explosion 125 Southern Modified Racing Series Feature:
1. Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C.
2. Bobby Measmer Jr., Concord, N.C.
3. Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C.
4. Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C.
5. John Smith, Mt. Airy, N.C.
6. Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H.
7. Tyler Truex, West Creek, N.J.
8. Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, N.Y.
9. J.R. Bertuccio, Centerrach, N.Y.
10. Danny Bohn, Freehold, N.J.
11. Jimmy Wallace, Reedy Creek, N.C.
12. Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, Fla.
13. Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa.
14. Gary Putnam, Concord, N.C.
15. Tim Brown, Cana, Va.
16. Mike Norman, Fayetteville, Tenn.
17. Tom Buzze Jr., Maiden, N.C.
18. Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La.